About. Simply stated, Career Management is the process of improving your effectiveness and value as an employee. This process benefits your current employer as well as any future employer. There are many methods for improving your effectiveness and value. Here are some suggestions:
- Resume. Maintain a current, up-to-date, resume to help you keep a focus on your past accomplishments and future goals. This is helpful even if you aren’t looking for a new job.
- Continuing Education. Participate in continuing education to help you increase your effectiveness on the job. Consider this, Why should your employer give you that next raise or promotion if you are the same person with the same skills and experience they hired years ago? Give your current employer and any future prospective employer good reasons to value your abilities. For assistance with educational strategies, visit Life University and the Academic Services Resource Group.
- Don’t Just Secure Your Job – Secure Your Workplace. The traditional competitive workplace mentality is one of watching out for yourself. Securing your workplace is about watching out for everybody and striving to make your business/department/organization profitable, effective, productive, growing, and secure for everyone.
- Consulting. Consider starting a consulting business. Even if you only work 10 hours a month. At $40 to $60 an hour, that could mean an extra $5,000 by the end of the year. In addition, consulting can give you experience and learning opportunities that you might not get on your regular job. You might even be able to bring some additional skills and knowledge to your full-time job that will benefit everyone.
- Multiple Income Streams. When rock climbing, there is a general rule that you should maintain three points of contact. For financial and career stability, consider having three or more sources of income. You wouldn’t put all of your money in one place. For the same reason, you should depend on a single source for your income.
- Balanced Living. How is your current job impacting the other major areas of your life such as family, health, faith, finances, and your ability to improve your world? If it isn’t making these areas of your life better, consider how you can improve the situation. If improving the situation isn’t an option, consider a different job. The future stability and effectiveness of your career greatly depends on how balanced and healthy the rest of your life is. Visit the Resources for Life Map Page to explore how you can improve and secure the various areas of your life such as family, health, faith, finances, and your ability to improve your world.
* * *
Choose Your Advertising. The topical advertising links below are provided by Google AdSense. In providing these links, we give our site visitors the option to view advertising or not. We don’t necessarily endorse the advertisers generated by these links, but they are supposed to be context relevant and for that reason you might find them helpful. These links will take you away from our site if you don’t right click and choose to open them in a new window or tab. We’re currently experimenting with this form of advertising. Let us know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. In particular, if you find advertisers listed here that are offensive or misleading, contact us and we’ll have them blocked. Our filtering of ads ensures you get the most useful advertising possible. Click on a topical link below to view a page of ads related to that topic.