Summary. There’s not much new to report this month, other than some minor tweaks to the regular update. So, I’ll provide the general summary of where things are at for those who are new to these personal updates.
- Lifeways. My philosophy and “religious practice” continues to be defined as Adonaikido which I also refer to as “Applied Judaism” since it is based upon Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) – a foundational teaching and goal of Judaism. I often tell people, “I don’t want to know what you believe. I want to know how do you live because of what you believe.” This is a unifying statement because many of us have different beliefs, yet we share common values, goals, and practices. My daily practice begins with stretching (Yoga/Pilates), a quiet meditation with deep breathing, exercise, and then expanding in the other areas of life described below. Following the Schedule for Life is at the core of my belief system and practice. I continue to look to the Blesofsky family as mentors and role models for me. They miraculously manage to be attentive parents and also have time to reach out to the community in many ways. They simultaneously follow the ancient traditions of Judaism while embracing the latest in modern information technologies (such as their website). I know how demanding it can be to serve as an outreach focused family. So, I try to support them as I’m able. Their outreach is holistic and offers support and advice for all areas of life such as health, finance, family, relationships, and career as well as the spiritual questions of life.
- Health. On August 21, I began evaluating the Isagenix nutrition and wellness system. I’m impressed with the products and system. You can read about my impressions on the Isagenix page I created.
- Career. I’m thankful that my work at the University of Iowa is going well and my consulting business continues to be busy. My clients have been really wonderful to me. I’m very grateful.
- Finance. My financial situation is stable right now. I continue to look for ways to decrease my regular expenses and increase my income.
- Relationships. Makur and I continue to stay in touch daily by Skype and emails. It’s been really interesting to adjust to the dynamics of a long-distance relationship where the emphasis is almost entirely on communications rather than being together and sharing in activities. It still seems fairly recent that she left, so we’re still adjusting. I plan to visit Makur and her family in early October for about a week to ten days. I continue to be grateful for the relationships I have with family, friends, colleagues, and clients.
- Activism. After years of work, my book, Put Your Life on a Diet, is now on bookshelves and I am starting to receive positive emails from people who have read the book. I believe that responding to these emails and also the media inquiries that are coming in will be an excellent method of outreach. I continue investing time in upgrading the Resources for Life.com website which is reaching hundreds of people from all over the world every day. In the future, other than consulting, I see my greatest positive impact and most effective use of my time being through the website. With regard to activism, I believe that the answer is to live the answer. Lifestyle activism and becoming the media are powerful tools.
- Effective Living. I’ve been deepening my understanding and practice of effectiveness principles, tools, and techniques. The website conversion is part of this effort. I have a renewed commitment to the Schedule for Life and the Holistic Living System which help to provide maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
Many thanks to all of you who are continuing to keep me in your thoughts, prayers, and meditation time. ~ Gregory
About the Personal Update
For about seven years, the first and most important communication I would send out each month would be a personal update covering seven areas of life described on the Map Page of the Resources for Life.com website. I reference this monthly practice in my Schedule for Life. Over the years, my personal updates went out each month to about 10 family members and friends who I consider to be my “advisory board.” A group of people with several hundred years of collective wisdom. As well as looking for feedback and guidance, I also saw these updates as a way of making a regular personal life assessment. As of September 2007, I began putting these monthly updates here in my online Journal. The seven areas of my personal life have solidified in recent years, so there’s not much “news” to report, but as there is, I’ll report it here in these updates. Additional writings are available through my online journal and other writings.
* * *
Choose Your Advertising. The topical advertising links below are provided by Google AdSense. In providing these links, we give our site visitors the option to view advertising or not. We don’t necessarily endorse the advertisers generated by these links, but they are supposed to be context relevant and for that reason you might find them helpful. These links will take you away from our site if you don’t right click and choose to open them in a new window or tab. We’re currently experimenting with this form of advertising. Let us know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. In particular, if you find advertisers listed here that are offensive or misleading, contact us and we’ll have them blocked. Our filtering of ads ensures you get the most useful advertising possible. Click on a topical link below to view a page of ads related to that topic.