Summary. The MD5 Checksum (Message-Digest algorithm 5) is a cryptographic hash function with a 128-bit hash value. It is commonly used to verify the integrity and authenticity of files.
Instructions. Follow these instructions to confirm the checksum of a file using an Apple computer.
- You will need the checksum code associated with the file.
- Run the Terminal utility found in Applications > Utilities.
- In the Terminal window, type “md5” and then a space, and then drag the downloaded file from the desktop or downloads folder into the Terminal window. This will cause the name of that file as well as its location to be pasted into the Terminal window.
- Press the Return/Enter key. This will generate the MD5 checksum value for that file.
- Compare the number generated to the one provided with the downloaded file. They should be identical. Type exit to exit the Terminal session. Then quit the Terminal utility.