Problem Summary. When a Sprint customer uses a BlackBerry device (or any phone), the default setting for roaming is usually configured to automatically choose whatever network signal is stronger for the current location. This can cause the phone to inadvertently use a network other than Sprint, which can result in excessive roaming fees.
Problem Solution. Follow these general instruction to configure your BlackBerry to use only the home network. These instruction are based on the BlackBerry Model 8703e, but are written to be applicable for any BlackBerry model. Pictured here is the BlackBerry Curve.
- From the main menu, use the selection wheel on the side of the BlackBerry to highlight “Options” (the icon might be a wrench) and then press the wheel in to select Options.
- Use the selection wheel to scroll down the list of options and highlight Network, then push the wheel in to select it.
- You should now see the Network options screen. The top item is, Network, will probably say Sprint (unless you are currently roaming). The bottom item, Network Selection Mode, should say Home Only. If it says Automatic, then this needs to be changed.
- Use the selection wheel to highlight Automatic and press the wheel to select it.
- Three options will be listed: Start Provisioning, Change Option, and Close.
- Highlight Change Option and then press the selection wheel.
- Two options will be listed: Automatic and Home Only. Use the selection wheel to highlight Home Only, the press the selection wheel to select it. You will then return to the Network Settings screen.
- Home Only will be highlighted. Press the selection wheel to select it again. A menu will appear showing: Start Provisioning, Change Option, Save, and Close. Save will be highlighted. Press the selection wheel again to save the change to use the Home network only (Sprint).
- Press the rectangular button on the side of the BlackBerry to return to the Options menu, then press the rectangular button on the side of the BlackBerry to return to the Home menu.
When to Use Automatic Roaming Network Selection. If you are in an area where Sprint service isn’t available, it may be necessary to switch back to Automatic. Follow the instructions above to do so.
Sprint Support Phone Number. For information about your roaming usage, call Sprint Roaming Support at 866-957-4161.