Summary. With the release of Windows 7, Microsoft has removed some essential software programs and utilities that has previously been included as part of a default installation. These are now bundled as a suite of applications called Windows Live Essentials available for free download and compatible with the Windows Live website.
Included Applications. The following applications are available for download as part of the Windows Live Essentials software bundle:
- Messenger – Used for text, voice, and video communications as well as remote support. Note: Apple will be redirected to Mactopia where the Mac version is available.
- Mail – Get multiple e-mail accounts in one program – Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo! Plus and more. And now Windows Live Mail has a calendar, too. Mail combines the ease of use of Outlook Express, with the speed of Windows Live.
- Writer – Writer makes it easy to share your photos and videos on almost any blog service—Windows Live, WordPress, Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, and many more.
- Photo Gallery – With Photo Gallery, it’s a snap to get your photos and videos from your camera to your PC. Find your favorite photos and share them with friends and family. Make your great photos look even better, and create impressive panoramic photos too.
- Movie Maker – Create movies and slide shows from your photos and videos, and share them with your friends and family. Windows Live Movie Maker is not available for Windows XP or earlier versions of Windows.
- Family Safety – With Family Safety, you decide how your kids experience the Internet. Limit searches, monitor and block or allow websites, and decide who your kids can communicate with in Windows Live Spaces, Messenger, or Hotmail.
- Toolbar – With Windows Live Toolbar, you always have quick access to Windows Live and Bing, no matter where you are on the web.
- SkyDrive – Get 25GB of online storage for free.