- Open a browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox and type in the address http://192.168.2.1 then press Enter.
- You will be asked for the login password for the router. The Factory Default Password for the Microsoft router MN-700 is admin.
- If you are unable to login with this password and don’t remember what it was changed to, you can reset the router by pressing the recessed blue button on the back with a paper clip. It will take a while for the unit to reset.
- Once logged in, click on the Wireless Settings link found in the navigation area on the left.
- By default, the wireless mode will be set to “mixed b compatible (fast).” Change this to “g performance (fastest)” for faster performance if all computers are compatible with this setting. This setting requires that anyone connecting to the wireless network have a wireless network card compatible with the 802.11g standard.
- By default, the Wireless network name (SSID) will be set to MSHOME. You can change the SSID to a wireless network name that you prefer.
- There are 11 wireless channels to choose from. The default is channel 6. You may want to change this to something else to avoid interference with another network in the area. Changing the channel should not effect anyone using the network.
- Choose to broadcast the wireless network name (SSID) for easiest configuration of other stations. Click the Apply button when finished.
- Click on the link “To make wireless data transmissions on your network more secure, set up wireless security.” For encryption strength choose “Strongest (WPA).”
Finish with these steps:
- Provide a passphrase where indicated, “Type a WPA passphrase (8-63 characters).” Be sure to make a note of your passphrase.
- Read the informational statement, “Do not enable WPA unless all the wireless computers on your network are running Windows XP with the latest service pack and updates installed. Any computer that does not meet these specifications will not be able to join your network. If you are switching from WEP to WPA, you must update all the devices on your network with the new WPA passphrase. Note Although WPA provides the strongest type of wireless security, enabling WPA on the base station will decrease the data throughput rate (the rate at which your data is transferred) below that required for Wi-Fi certification. “
When done, confirm all settings and close out of the Internet browser. It may take a few minutes for the router to reset before you can get back on the Internet again. More information about the MN-700 Wireless Router is available on the Microsoft Website.