Gregory Paul Johnson – Personal Update 201002 | 28 February 2010 | Sunday
Summary. This is the monthly personal update for Gregory Johnson. Life categories are now listed alphabetically rather than in order of increasing interdependence described on the map page. The only area of significant news this month is under Health.
- Activism. With regard to activism, I believe that the answer is to live the answer. As such, lifestyle activism and becoming the media are the most powerful methods for impacting the world. For this reason, sharing my photography, producing videos, and writing content for the ResourcesForLife.com website continue to be my primary means of activism. The site has had over a million visitors in the past few years. There is now a ResourcesForLife.com @ Ning network as well. My book, Put Your Life on a Diet, continues to do well, and I’ve added an online community area for discussions about it.
- Career. I’m thankful that my work at the University of Iowa is going well and my consulting business continues to be busy. My current clients continue to be wonderful to work with, and I’m also gaining some new ones. I’m very grateful.
- Effective Living. In December 2009, my inbox had over 8,000 emails needing a reply. I was able to implement an email floodgate system, and at the end of January there are only 3 emails in my inbox. Now, at the end of February, I have only 7 emails (requests) pending action. I’m really happy to be keeping up with the flood of emails. I have a renewed commitment to the Schedule for Life and the Holistic Living System which help to provide maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
- Finance. I continue to look for ways to decrease my regular expenses and increase my income. I enjoy investing in Kiva, an organization that loans money to the working poor of the world. I’ve begun seeing some revenue come in from Google AdSense ads that I’ve placed at the bottom of a few pages on the website. Using Google AdSense ads has allowed me to conduct a study of website advertising.
- Health. I’ve gained about 20 pounds since moving to downtown Iowa City in August 2009. So, I’m now looking for ways to take my weight management system to the next level. Living downtown has been very convenient. Maybe too convenient. Having everything so close requires a greater commitment to exercise. I’ve been relying on home workouts for a few months. After trying a trampoline, and most recently exercise mats for spot running, this week I’m going to start using an elliptical system. I’m still using the Nike+ and Apple iPod to keep track of my workouts and publish this information to a new personal fitness page.
- Lifeways. After many years of having a fairly elaborate religious belief system, I’m now pursuing a way of life that would be founded entirely on “a life of action” based on principles of humanism, science, right action, and best practices. This new practice is called the Holistic Unification Lifeway Practice. My goal is for this new life system to be in harmony with many existing religions and philosophies. For example, I will continue to abstain from eating pork (and other meats for that matter). However, my basis for this won’t be in observance to the Torah, Bible, or Qur’an, but for health benefits, better agricultural land usage, and out of compassion for animal life. I’ll continue to be fond of and supportive of Judaism and Buddhism, my two favorite religions. I still view Christianity as a form of Judaism. I consider myself a Christian, Jew, Muslim, and also a Humanist since my life isn’t contrary to any of those belief systems.
- Relationships. Makur and I got married on the 14th of November 2009. Our wedding video is now online. I continue to be grateful for the relationships I have with family, friends, colleagues, and clients. We’re now living in a 360 square foot apartment in downtown Iowa City.
Many thanks to all of you who are continuing to keep me in your thoughts, prayers, and meditation time. ~ Gregory
About the Personal Update
For about nine years, the first and most important communication I would send out each month would be a personal update covering seven areas of life described on the Map Page of the Resources for Life.com website. I reference this monthly practice in my Schedule for Life. Over the years, my personal updates went out each month to about 10 family members and friends who I consider to be my “advisory board” – a group of people with several hundred years of collective wisdom. As well as looking for feedback and guidance, I also saw these updates as a way of making a regular personal life assessment. As of September 2007, I began publishing these monthly updates here in my online Journal. The seven areas of my personal life have solidified in recent years, so there’s not much “news” to report, but as there is, I’ll report it here in these updates.