Global Impact. To the casual observer, the Oprah Winfrey Show might appear to be just another daytime talk show. Yet, a brief visit to Oprah.com reveals that her talk show is just one part of a world-wide organization that is powerfully changing people’s lives. The Oprah Winfrey Show reaches over 48 Million people in 126 Countries… every week!
Accomplishment. Oprah has received recognition for numerous awards and accomplishments. In 2004, Oprah received the Global Humanitarian Action Award from the United Nations Association of the United States of America. For the past three years in a row, she has been recognized by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world. The Oprah.com website empowers you to: "Live Your Best Life." Here are a few basic facts about Oprah and what her global organization is accomplishing:
- News Anchor at Age 19. At the age of 19, she became the youngest person and the first African-American woman to anchor the news at Nashville’s WTVF-TV. [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- Highest Rated Talk Show in Television History. When the Oprah Winfrey Show entered national syndication in 1986, it became the highest rated talk show in television history. [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- Third Woman in History to Own Her Own Studio. "In 1988, she established Harpo Studios, a production facility in Chicago, making her the third woman in the American entertainment industry (after Mary Pickford and Lucille Ball) to own her own studio." [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- 48 million people in 126 countries every week. The Oprah Winfrey Show reaches over 48 million people in 126 countries every week. [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- O Magazine Reaches Over 2.3 Million Monthly. O, The Oprah Magazine, reaches over 2.3 million people each month and is distributed in the U.S. and South Africa. [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- Oprah has contributed more than $40 million toward the creation of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa. [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- Oprah’s Angel Network has raised more than $50 million, with 100% of audience donations going to non-profit organizations across the globe. "Oprah’s Angel Network has helped establish scholarships and schools, support women’s shelters and build youth centers and homes—changing the future for people all over the world." [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- 24 Hour Cable Television Network. "Oprah is co-founder of Oxygen Media, which operates a 24-hour cable television network for women that launched in 1998 and is currently available in more than 69 million homes across America." [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
- Satellite Radio. "Through a recent joint venture, Oprah announced the launch of Oprah & Friends, a new channel on XM Satellite Radio." [Source: Oprah’s Bio Page]
Oprah Winfrey Resources and Reference
- Bookstore – selected books about Oprah by Resources for Life
- Gale.com – biography page
- Warning: The QuotationsPage.com website utilizes pop-up advertising as of 20070209fr2147.
- Time Magazine, 100 Most Influential People in the World
- Warning: The Time Magazine website utilizes pop-up advertising as of 20070209fr2146.
- Wikipedia – general information