Summary. While using Apple OS X 10.7 Lion, and attempting to drag a file to the Trash, you may at some point receive a message stating, “This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action.” This is an indication that your home folder permissions have become corrupted.
Problem Resolution. Follow these instructions to identify and resolve the problem.
- While in Finder, press Shift+Command+H to view your Home folder icon.
- Press Command+I to view the information about your Home folder. At the bottom, under Sharing & Permissions, beneath the Name heading, in the top row left column you may see Fetching instead of your name (Me). This is a further indication that the Home folder is corrupted.
- Restart your computer and hold Command+R to start in the Recovery Console.
- From the Utility menu, choose Terminal. When Terminal starts, type reset password and press return (enter). You may be prompted to enter your password.
- In the resulting window, do not reset your password. Instead, choose your username (or the user account with the problem) from the drop-down list of users. Then, at the bottom, click the button to Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs. This may take a while to run.
Thanks to Makur for her research into this issue.