Showing. There will be a showing of the documentary on 14 July 2012 at 3:00 PM in the MacBride Auditorium.
Background. How did Iowa City become a hub for creative writing in America? This hour-long documentary is a story of literary ambition, academic innovation and a promising young Iowa poet who became a cultural entrepreneur.
- Release Date: July, 14, 2012
- Genre: Documentary
- Plot Outline: This film follows the story of creative writing in Iowa, from its frontier beginnings to the recognition of Iowa City as a UNESCOCity of Literature.
- Awards Won: Best Documentary at the Cedar Rapids Film Festival 2012
- Starring: Paul Engle, Loren Glass, Marvin Bell, Samantha Chang, Paul Ingram, Nicholas Meyer, Mary Bennett, Ethan Canin, Laurel Fantauzzo
- Directed By: Benjamin Hill
- Written By: Benjamin Hill and Jennifer New
- Cinematography By: John Richard [LinkedIn]
- Website: http://cityofliteraturefilm.org
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CityofLiteratureDocumentary
Resources. Below are additional resources relating to the documentary.
- Grants to support creation of ‘City of Literature’ documentary [and here]
- UNESCO City of Literature names Pilak its first executive director
- UNESCO designates Iowa City as the world’s third City of Literature
- WikiPedia – City of Literature page
- WritingUniversity.org – Iowa City, UNESCO City of Literature