Summary. This document provides access to resources and information on creating sustainable communities.
- Abundance-Ecovillage.com - “The idea for the Abundance EcoVillage Project was born of frustration and dissatisfaction with a way of living that is not healthy for the earth or it’s inhabitants. In a conventional home, subdivision, village, or city, the options provided for energy, water, waste handling, built environment, landscape, food, transportation, and a livelihood are grossly out of tune with the growing desire of many people to live as responsible citizens on the earth, in harmony with our planetary resources and our fellow creature inhabitants.”
- BigGreenSummer.com - Big Green Summer grew out of an informal internship program started in 1998 at Surya Nagar Farm (Iowa and Hawaii - http://www.solarfarm.com) and in 2000 at Abundance Ecovillage (Iowa - http://www.abundance-ecovillage.com) that has served hundreds of students. This program was developed and directed by Big Green Summer founders Lonnie and Valerie Gamble.
- Bike Friendly Communities - Excellent way to promote healthy and eco-friendly development.
- CoHousing.org - Cohousing communities combine the advantages of private homes with the benefits of more sustainable living, including shared common facilities and ongoing connections with neighbors. These intentional neighborhoods, created and managed by residents, offer an innovative solution to today’s environmental and social challenges.
- Community Solution - “We envision a country where the population is distributed in small communities that are sustainable, diverse and culturally sophisticated.”
- Iowa Center on Sustainable Communities
- RenewFairfield.com - Online encyclopedia of resources and information. “This web site was begun as a collaborative project in the fall of 2006 by the students of a solar energy course (titled”The Energy Basis of Man and Nature“), which is part of the four-year Sustainable Living Program at Maharishi University of Management.”
- SFEnvironment - San Francisco Environmental Initiative
- Silver Sage Village
- SolarFarm.com - “Surya Nagar is Sanskrit for “Home of the Sun”, and the mission of Surya Nagar is to implement and teach how man can create a life based on solar energy. We operate a farm, offer internships, host visitors, and offer educational programs such permaculture design certificate courses.”
- Stop the Waste
- Sustain Lane - 2006 Top Ranked Sustainable Cities
* * *
Choose Your Advertising. The topical advertising links below are provided by Google AdSense. In providing these links, we give our site visitors the option to view advertising or not. We don’t necessarily endorse the advertisers generated by these links, but they are supposed to be context relevant and for that reason you might find them helpful. These links will take you away from our site if you don’t right click and choose to open them in a new window or tab. We’re currently experimenting with this form of advertising. Let us know if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. In particular, if you find advertisers listed here that are offensive or misleading, contact us and we’ll have them blocked. Our filtering of ads ensures you get the most useful advertising possible. Click on a topical link below to view a page of ads related to that topic.