App Development Timeline
On the Apple iOS app development reference page, Apple has an iPhone App timeline or roadmap (shown above) that looks similar to a subway map. Each stop along the development workflow path is represented by a clickable navigation point. These are the stops along the development workflow path displayed an outline format:
- Setup – Get Tools and Install
- Jump Right In – A tutorial that will walk you through creating a simple app.
- Tools – Read the article Manage Your Workflow in Xcode to learn about important Xcode features for iOS app development.
- Language – Read the article Write Objective-C Code to learn about basic syntax of Objective-C, including class declarations, methods, messaging, and declared properties.You use Objective-C for Mac and iOS apps. If you’re a Mac developer, you already know the basic syntax.
- Basic Tasks – Read the article Acquire Basic Programming Skills to learn about the basic tasks in Objective-C programming. The concepts explained in this article are essentially the same for Mac and iOS development.
- Design Patterns
- Human Interface Design – Read Design with the User in Mind to learn how to create an app that delivers a great user experience. This document introduces the guidelines to follow when programming; it does not describe how to implement your designs in code. Most guidelines for iOS are distinct from OS X because apps on a mobile device are intrinsically different.
- App Design
- App Store – Read Prepare for App Store Submission to learn about the administrative aspects of developing apps for the App Store.
- Next Steps
App Visual Appearance
The real challenge beyond learning how to develop an app is knowing how to make it attractive and easy to use so that it will be appealing. For example, you can learn how to use a graphic design program, but that doesn’t make you a graphic designer. If you’re not a designer, you may need to hire someone with graphic design skills or utilize some pre-designed stock images for your app. Search for iOS on Shutterstock or other similar stock image services.
The video below is one example of many showing how app development can have a positive impact in the world.
* * *
Here are some additional resources for app development. Information provided on the Apple website will be indicated below.
- Business App Development (Apple)
- Development Center (Apple)
- Financial Earnings Potential (Apple) – All the ways you can promote and sell your app.
- Photography Content Delivery – Are you thinking about creating an app to deliver photography content? Rather than developing an app from scratch, you may want to consider a third party developed solution to deliver your content through. As yourself… Are you really wanting to develop an app, or are you in the content creation and delivery business? You may want to focus on content delivery and use a pre-existing platform that can be branded for you.
- ReverbNation.com Musician / Band App – Are you wanting to develop a custom app to promote your music? Rather than developing an app from scratch, you may want to consider a third party developed solution to deliver your content through. As yourself… Are you really wanting to develop an app, or are you in the content creation and delivery business? You may want to focus on content delivery and use a pre-existing platform that can be branded for you.