The Apple MacBook Air with 11.6 Inch Display is possibly the best present-day choice for a computing device. [Buy on Amazon]
Features and Benefits
- It has a full operating system and the power of a desktop computer.
- It has the light weight and small size of a tablet. It has the instant-on usability of a mobile device.
- It has an extended battery life (up to 9 hours) not typically available in a notebook computer.
- It costs hundreds of dollars less than other Apple computers.
- The solid-state hard drive means fewer moving parts and durability to avoid a crash.
- Despite its portability, it can be connected to an external display, mouse, and keyboard, making it larger for home and office use.
Questions & Answers
- What about a DVD drive? You can buy one separately for about $30 or less. Click here for a list on Amazon.
- What about hard drive storage? Although the MacBook air comes with 128 GB (or 256GB for a little more money), the operating system and most programs don’t require much more than that. Additional storage of music, movies, photos, and other large files would likely require an external drive anyway. If possible, spending a little more to double the storage capacity is probably worth it. Otherwise, plan on having larger files stored on external drives. Click here to learn more about external drives.
- What about USB ports? The MacBook Air and other notebooks often come with only two USB ports. This is because when you’re mobile, you probably won’t have your printer, scanner, and other peripherals from home. When you’re at home, you can use a USB hub for more ports. Click here to view a suggested hub.
- What about refurbished units? As long as you get the additional Apple Care Warranty for your MacBook Air, it should be fine to purchase a refurbished unit from Apple at a savings of $100 or more. Click here for a listing of refurbished units.
- What if I don’t need mobility? If you’re okay with using a smartphone or inexpensive tablet while mobile, and really want a powerful desktop computer, then an iMac may be your best choice. The cost is more, but you’ll get a lot more for your money in terms of computing power, storage, and a huge display. Click here to view iMac computers.