I’m Gregory Johnson, the Director of ResourcesForLife.com in Iowa City.
Although my daily work involves technology support, I’m probably best known for my involvement in the small house movement and a book I wrote about small living: Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned From Living in 140 Square Feet.
I try to live an open-source life that’s transparent, interactive, collaborative and part of the Creative Commons.
Interests. Here are some areas of interest and links to relevant resources.
- Activism. I maintain the Resources for Life website and facilitating the Small House Society. I also write product reviews and consumer advocacy articles through the Consumer Defense Resource Group. I’m also a volunteer for the Justice Center.
- Career. I work full-time at the University of Iowa as a technology consultant and also provide computer and technology support to hundreds of clients through the Technology Services Resource Group.
- Health. I enjoy vegetarian living (sometimes vegan organic), daily yoga, meditation, and fitness routine as part of the Schedule for Life and Holistic Living System. I recently started using the Fitbit system for wellness.
- Home. From August 2003 to August 2009, I lived in the Mobile Hermitage, a 140 square foot cottage. From August 2009 to July 2011 I lived in 360 square feet with my wife. We’ve expanded from a single bedroom to a diminutive two-bedroom apartment that can accommodate a home office.
- Journal. My writings can be found in the documents library. These documents get expanded upon and revised in response to visitor feedback.
- Lifeways. Regarding religion and philosophy, I developed and try to follow Adonaikido as an expression of my faith and beliefs.
- Music. I enjoy composing Music [ archive ] and selecting songs for the monthly and annual Heart Songs collection.
- Personal Updates. Since the year 2000, I’ve been sending out personal monthly updates that review each area of life. As of September 2007, I began posting these online.
- Photography. My current photography and archives are available online. My hope is to build an online source for stock photos that can be part of the creative commons. My photography can be viewed on the following networks:
- Radio Interviews. I enjoy participating in radio interviews. Here are a few: ABC News Australia, National Radio in Ireland, Iowa Public Radio Book Reading/Interview, KRUU, and Public Radio Interview with Ben Kieffer from February 2007.
- Relationship Status. Married to Makur Jain.
- Social Networking. I have pages on Bebo, Curbly, Digg, Facebook, Hi5, Kiva, LinkedIn, Orkut, Scribd, and Twitter. A complete list can be found at the bottom of the ResourcesForLife.com community page.
- Technician Radio License. FCC authorized technician license, N0YOD.
- Transportation. I enjoy commuting by bicycle year-round to provide fitness, save time, and save money.
- Video. My videos are available on the ResourcesForLife.com YouTube page.
- Writing. I recently published a book on simpler and smaller living: Put Your Life on a Diet: Lessons Learned From Living in 140 Square Feet. Other writings are available in the documents library such as product reviews and keeping a regular online journal of reflections on politics, society, relationships, technology and other topics.