Summary. This document is for creating a list of free music resources.
Benefits. Music empowers people to live more joyfully and effectively. It soothes, entertains, brings healing, inspires, and energizes. For this reason, this category is filed under Effective Living.
About. Some of these sources are for online only listening. Otherse offer downloads for free. In some cases, use of the music for commercial for-profit purposes requires license fee payments.
Resources. Here is a preliminary list of free music resources.
- Deezer.com – “Deezer is first of all the story of a music re-inventing website, set up by its two young founders Daniel Marhely and Jonathan Benassaya. Having launched a first music playing website called Blogmusik, voluntarily closed due to a music market in turmoil, they decided to implement their business model by negotiating with the major music rights owners. For the first time, in a move that made perfect sense, they signed an agreement with French royalty collecting agencies SACEM and SESAM on 22 August 2007. On the same date, the first French unlimited access, free and legal music playing website was launched. Deezer.com was born. The concept is simple: To offer, free of charge and legally, all kinds of music, from rock to hip-hop, jazz, electro and world music While at the same time, artists and rights owners receive a share of advertising revenue.”
- GrooveShark.com – An excellent online streaming music system with widgets to embed music into websites and blogs.
- MP3Hungama.com – Features Indian, Pakistani, Bhangra, and Qawalies music.
- iLike.com – “iLike is the Web’s leading social music discovery service and the dominant music application on the Facebook®, Orkut, hi5 and Bebo platforms. With more than 50 million registered users, iLike helps people share music recommendations, playlists, and personalized concert alerts. The iLike Sidebar for iTunes and Windows Media Player suggests new music, creates automatic playlists, and connects people through music. iLike offers musicians and labels a Universal Artist Dashboard™ from which to reach fans and manage their presence across multiple channels: Facebook, Orkut, hi5, Bebo, iLike.com, Ask.com, iLike Sidebar plugins for iTunes and Windows Media Player, and iLike’s iPhone application. By leveraging iLike’s ‘artist-fan graph,’ a vast database of connections between consumers and their favorite artists, iLike helps artists reach their fans and cultivate the viral spread of their music. iLike, inc also runs indie music site GarageBand.com.”
- Kahvi.org – Kahvi offers an excellent selection of electronic techno ambient music for free. “Sound has the power to make the world a better place.” [Source]
- Lala.com – “Take your music and fuse it with a massive licensed catalog to easily play, buy and share on the web. With Lala you can play over 7 million songs for free – no ads or clutter. Play your music, anywhere on the web. Instantly upload the tracks on your computer to your Lala collection.”
- MusicBakery.com – “Download royalty free music from The Music Bakery featuring professional studio musicians and plenty of real acoustic instruments, impeccably-produced by our gifted team of award-winning composers. Covering the entire spectrum of musical styles, it’s buyout production music that’s logically categorized and easy to find. Select tracks for training & motivation, education, sales & advertising and industrials. Pick up crisp background beds for narration and spicy high-profile themes for image and emotion. In the royalty-free music industry, The Music Bakery is the acknowledged quality leader.”
Document History. This document was originally created on 20080402th2016. On 20091211fr1030 links to iLike.com and Lala.com were added.