Small Living Resources. Because of the increasing interest in the small house movement, resources are becoming more and more plentiful. Below are links to information about books, video tapes, house plans, workshops, events, presentations, and consultation services. Please let us know if you have something to add to this page.
Featured Book. The currently featured book, shown at right, is the Small House Book by Jay Shafer of Tumbleweed Tiny House Company.
Resource Directory. Below is a directory listing of resource pages.
- Bookstore – Visit our online Small House Bookstore, but don’t forget to check out the bookstore at ComingUnmoored.com
- Bicycles – The ideal mode of transportation for simple and small living.
- Blogs – This link goes to a page of personal stories about small house design, construction, and renovation.
- Communities – Directory of Small House Communities.
- Designing and Building – A page with links to topics for consideration when designing and building a small home.
- Dictionary and Glossary of Terms for the Small House Movement
- Discussion Forum – Visit our online discussion forum page at Yahoo Groups to sign-up for the never-ending discussion about smaller and more sustainable living.
- Designers and Builders – Directory of designers and builders who offer and/or specialize in constructing small and no-so-big homes.
- Designs and Plans – Directory listing sources providers of small house designs and plans.
- Dimensions – A guide to the dimensions of small houses and considerations when determining a right-size home.
- Education and Workshops – Listing of education and workshop opportunities related to smaller and more sustainable living.
- For Sale. Listings of small homes that are for sale.
- Glossary of Terms and Dictionary for the Small House Movement
- Minimum Size Home Building Standards and Laws – The Legalization of Smaller Living
- Newsletter – Visit our newsletter subscription page at Yahoo Groups to sign-up for the monthly newsletter or read past newsletters in the archives. Recent newsletters are now posted here on our website. You can also subscribe by sending a blank e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plans and Designs - Directory listing sources providers of small house designs and plans.
- Organizations and Suppliers – Providers of small house and smaller living appliances, building materials, and other resources for building small.
- Personal Stories of Small House Construction, Design, and Renovation
- Publications – Magazines, journals, RSS Feeds, Blogs, and other electronic or printed newsletters about smaller living.
- Quotes – Quotes that inspire simpler and smaller living.
- Registry – Directory listing websites of people living in small homes. This is the same page as the personal stories of small house construction, design, and renovation.
- RyanHomes.com – For help with buying a home, contact Ryan Homes to learn about homes for sale.
- Small House Hotels
- Websites and Forums – Directory of websites and forums about small house construction and living.
Small House Society Founders – Featured Resources. Small House Society founders Jay Shafer, Shay Salomon, Nigel Valdez, and Gregory Johnson offer the following resources as a good place to start your journey toward simpler, smaller, and more sustainable living.
- Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. Small House Society Co-Founder Jay Shafer offers pre-built homes for purchase as well small house plans, books, workshops, media coverage review, newsletters (sign-up on main page), a press kit, and online resources for simpler and smaller living.
- Little House on a Small Planet. Small House Society Co-Founders Shay Salomon and Nigel Valdez are the authors of the highly praised book Little House on a Small Planet. Through their website (by the same name) you can order the book, read excerpts, and learn about their public speaking schedule.
- Resources for Life. Small House Society Co-Founder Gregory Paul Johnson manages the Resources for Life.com website offering a wealth of resources and tools for simpler, smaller, and more sustainable living. Audio is now available for recent interviews with Gregory Johnson on National Radio in Ireland, Iowa Public Radio Book Reading/Interview, and Public Radio Interview with Ben Kieffer from February 2007.
Interior Design and Decoration. Below are additional resources for living well in smaller spaces including small houses and small apartments. If your small space needs a makeover, these are the resources to help you declutter your life:
- ApartmentTherapy.com – Great resource for living well and living small.
- Curbly.com – Excellent online resource for interior design and do-it-yourself advice.
- Plan3D.com – Design your home or living space in 3D online or using this software on your computer.
- Small Living Technology Store – Make use of technology for smaller living.