Welcome to the Activist Resource Group
“We can’t focus our energy on the problems…
We must focus on solutions
that make those problems irrelevant.”
– Gregory Johnson
The Activist Resource Group has been developed to serve socially minded people who have a sincere desire to make the world a better place. We hope to offer you some helpful resources, products, services, and support that will help make your efforts more fruitful. We also serve as an outreach and educational service to the public.
Articles About Activism
Democracy is founded on the principal of distributed participatory governance to create a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. Dark Money in politics allows small groups of people to have excessive and unfair influence over politics and...read more
DIVERSITY – McDonald’s Pranksters Get Hired for Company’s Advertising Campaign – The Ellen DeGeneres Show
In a Banksy-like act of protest and defiance, two friends created a large professional looking corporate ad poster of themselves and put it up in their local McDonald's so there would be diversity represented. The poster stayed up for two months before it was...read more
When administrators learned that High School Guidance Counselor Shelly Fitzgerald was married to a woman - her partner of 22 years. She was given the option to dissolve her marriage or resign. In this video, Ellen DeGeneres meets with Shelly to talk about the...read more
Ellen sat down with Akbar Cook, Principal of West Side High School in Newark, New Jersey. Cook noticed at-risk students being bullied for dirty clothes, so he worked hard to install washing machines and dryers so the kids could do laundry. After hearing his story,...read more
Conflict Resolution Mapping is a process used to identify blockages to successful conflict resolution. Influences that facilitate or hinder reconciliation are identified and visualized for discussing a strategy for progress. When we apply conflict resolution mapping...read more
HawkeyeSports.com host Laura VandeBerg meets with former Hawkeye football players Dallas Clark and Tim Dwight to discuss a collaborative project with former Iowa State Cyclones team members who are joining together to build homes for people in Haiti who have been...read more
Eric Weingartner worked two side jobs in addition to his role as a full-time 4th grade teacher to make ends meet. Chemistry teacher Becky Smith’s monthly paycheck rose just $300 in sixteen years. Aimee Elmquist spent her own money to stock her biology classroom. Mary...read more
Two years ago the city of South Fulton, Georgia got to do something unusual: Build a government and a justice system from scratch. The brand new city of 100,000 residents — 90% of whom are black — broke off from greater Fulton County. One of the first things they did...read more
The song "Prayer of the Mothers" was born as a result of an alliance made between singer-songwriter Yael Deckelbaum, and a group of courageous women, leading the movement of “Women Wage Peace." The movement arose on summer 2014 during the escalation of violence...read more
Salmon Sisters is part business and part inspiring social-movement meets habitat preservation. It's an initiative started by Emma Teal Laukitis and Claire Neaton, two sisters from the Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska. From the Salmon Sisters website: Emma Teal...read more
Ideally, activists would be like the white blood cells of culture and society attempting to bring about a more healthy and life supporting world. Being an activist isn’t a radical thing. It simply means that you are active. It means that you are passionate about something. It means that you believe tomorrow can be a better day than yesterday if we live responsibly today. It means you have hope for a better future. You can be an activist about anything: church, education, politics, the environment, human rights. Find your passion and grow in it.
Featured Activist Links. Below are some featured links to resources for impacting the world.
- Activism Stories – From the Front Lines
- A Vegetarian Visits a Kosher Slaughter House – Postville Iowa Agriprocessors Rubashkin Meat Packing Plant
- Reflections on the Prosecution of Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin and the Government Raid of the Agriprocesors Kosher Meat Packing Plant in Postville, Iowa
- The Postville, Iowa Raid: Looking Back, What have we learned? – Federal Agents Invade Rubashkin Agriprocessors Kosher Meat Packing Plant
- Advertising that offers humor, hope, and inspiration
- Animal Welfare
- Banksy – A British graffiti artist.
- BoxxyBabee Market Analysis – a market value analysis of BoxxyBabee
- Change.org – “Today as citizens of the world, we face a daunting array of social and environmental problems ranging from health care and education to global warming and economic inequality. For each of these issues, whether local or global in scope, there are millions of people who care passionately about working for change but lack the information and opportunities necessary to translate their interest into effective action. Change.org aims to address this need by serving as the central platform informing and empowering movements for social change around the most important issues of our time.” [ Ideas for Change in America – Post an Idea ]
- Charitable Giving – Resources and reviews for charitable giving.
- Companies Giving to Charity
- Consumer Defense Resource Group – Advocating for Consumer Rights
- Effective Activism – An article by Gregory Johnson
- Environmental Resource Group – Promoting sustainability and environmental action.
- Good.Alltop.com – News about doing good.
- Good.is – “GOOD is a collaboration of individuals, businesses, and nonprofits pushing the world forward. Since 2006 we’ve been making a magazine, videos, and events for people who give a damn.
This website is an ongoing exploration of what GOOD is and what it can be.”
- GoodTree.com – Online social networking of activists.
- GreenXchange – “Nike and Creative Commons are calling upon other companies and stakeholders to bring the network efficiencies of open innovation to solving the problems of sustainability. “
- Kiva – We’re currently promoting Kiva as a great way to help people save up money while doing good at the same time. Please join our Kiva Lending Team. Loan money, change lives.
- Nscfp.org – Northstar Center for Peace
- PeaceCorps.gov – Waging peace around the world.
- Political Resource Group – Politics that are “Fair and Balanced”
- Jay Shafer – Featured Activist
- ScienceCommons.org – “Many scientists today work in relative isolation, left to follow blind alleys and duplicate existing research. Data are balkanized — trapped behind firewalls, locked up by contracts or lost in databases that can’t be accessed or integrated. Materials are hard to get — universities are overwhelmed with transfer requests that ought to be routine, while grant cycles pass and windows of opportunity close. It’s not uncommon for research sponsors to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in critically important efforts like drug discovery, only to see them fail. The consequences in many cases are no less than tragic. The time it takes to go from identifying a gene to developing a drug currently stands at 17 years — forever, for people suffering from disease. Science Commons has three interlocking initiatives designed to accelerate the research cycle — the continuous production and reuse of knowledge that is at the heart of the scientific method. Together, they form the building blocks of a new collaborative infrastructure to make scientific discovery easier by design.”
- Slacker Uprising by Michael Moore
- Small Car Society
- Small House Society
- Super Efficiency Upsourcing Cost Effectiveness in Virtual Organizations and Businesses for a Zero Monetized Society
- The Story of Stuff – Exploring a dysfunctional model for production, delivery, consumption, and disposal.
- The True Enemy is War Itself – “The conflicting ideologies of the captain and the executive officer in the movie Crimson Tide are revealed early on in the film (from 20:40 to 24:13).”
- The Urgency of Global Feminism
- The Urgency of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- The Urgency of Youth Representation, Action, and Activism in World Democracy
- World of Good at eBay – Products that are ethically responsible with regard to labor, the environment, animals, and supporting social causes.
- World PROUT Assembly – “PROUT stands for PROgressive UTilization Theory. It means, the progressive utilization and rational distribution of all the earth’s natural resources.”
Faith and Activism. Most religions include as a central tenant the concept of social action, social change, and healing the world. People from all generations, and numerous religions have found a connection between faith and activism. Faith can provide the hope, courage, strength, and determination required to contribute toward positive change in the world. Below is an excerpt from the Tanya.
ולכן אמרו רבותינו ז״ל במדרש: ראה הקדוש ברוך הוא בצדיקים שהם מועטים, עמד
ושתלן ככל דור ודור
“The Almighty saw that the righteous were few, so He arose and planted them in every generation.” Tanya 1:25-26