Welcome to the Activist Resource Group
“We can’t focus our energy on the problems…
We must focus on solutions
that make those problems irrelevant.”
– Gregory Johnson
The Activist Resource Group has been developed to serve socially minded people who have a sincere desire to make the world a better place. We hope to offer you some helpful resources, products, services, and support that will help make your efforts more fruitful. We also serve as an outreach and educational service to the public.
Articles About Activism
In Episode #25, I talk about the causes of racism and ways we can all help work to eliminate it. Listen using your favorite podcast service. Apple [Listen]Anchor [Listen]Google [Listen]Spotify [Listen] Listen Using the Anchor Player Below Listen Using Our Website...
In Episode 22, I talk about three current trends influencing the discussion about vegetarianism and seven reasons people choose plant-based foods. In addition to the seven reasons given in the podcast for choosing vegetarianism, other reasons might be religious...
A bed time story of how it started, and why hindsight’s 2020. Music by Katie Phillips. Sound Design by Sam Gee. Video by Probably Tomfoolery. https://youtu.be/Nw5KQMXDiM4 [Video Date: 29 Apr 2020. Posted: 3 May 2020.]
MOSCOW – The Russian capital is home to a network of 178,000 surveillance cameras. Thousands of these cameras are already connected to facial recognition software under a program called “Safe City.” Police claim the technology has helped arrest more than 300 people....
Summary These are videos of James Surowiecki talking about his book "The Wisdom of Crowds" and the principles it is based on. [View on Amazon] CMX (13 Jun 2016) James Surowiecki: The Power of the Collective. James Surowiecki, author of The Wisdom of Crowds and...
The Rebel Alliance vs The Empire I'm a fan of Star Wars, but I'm not cult follower. I don't dress up as characters or have Star Wars action figures. What I like about Star Wars is that the storyline is simple and familiar: There is a government (the Empire) which has...
Here's an inspiring video from UNICEF of young people sharing a call to peace through poetry in Arabic, English, and other languages. (UNICEF, 26 Mar 2020) https://youtu.be/f8js_I6Syz4 [Video Date: 26 Mar 2020. Posted: 30 Apr 2020.]
"In Italy authorities said on Sunday that a further 651 people had died from the coronavirus. That’s fewer than Saturday’s record number of deaths, but is still the second-worst day so far. Italy has closed non-essential businesses to try to control the outbreak. And...
A Seismic Shift There are currently three powerful converging forces producing a seismic shift in today's job market. This article provides you with some suggestions on how to position yourself for long-term career growth and financial wellbeing. The current...
On 18 March 2020, Greg Johnson discussed the COVID-19 Strategic Response Portal with Holly Hart of KICI Radio 105.3 FM in Iowa City. The interview audio is available below. Press the Play button (triangle) to listen. [Date: 18 Mar 2020. Posted: 25 Mar 2020]
[Source: The Intercept, Naomi Klein, 16 Mar 2020] Governments around the world are busily exploiting the coronavirus crisis to push for no-strings-attached corporate bailouts and regulatory rollbacks. “I've spent two decades studying the transformations that take...
In Morocco, households that find themselves without a man often face financial difficulties. Fatima Zahara knows that only too well. After her father died, her mother could barely feed her children. So Fatima quit school to help support her family. Fatima's entire...
Ideally, activists would be like the white blood cells of culture and society attempting to bring about a more healthy and life supporting world. Being an activist isn’t a radical thing. It simply means that you are active. It means that you are passionate about something. It means that you believe tomorrow can be a better day than yesterday if we live responsibly today. It means you have hope for a better future. You can be an activist about anything: church, education, politics, the environment, human rights. Find your passion and grow in it.
Featured Activist Links. Below are some featured links to resources for impacting the world.
- Activism Stories – From the Front Lines
- A Vegetarian Visits a Kosher Slaughter House – Postville Iowa Agriprocessors Rubashkin Meat Packing Plant
- Reflections on the Prosecution of Sholom Mordechai Rubashkin and the Government Raid of the Agriprocesors Kosher Meat Packing Plant in Postville, Iowa
- The Postville, Iowa Raid: Looking Back, What have we learned? – Federal Agents Invade Rubashkin Agriprocessors Kosher Meat Packing Plant
- Advertising that offers humor, hope, and inspiration
- Animal Welfare
- Banksy – A British graffiti artist.
- BoxxyBabee Market Analysis – a market value analysis of BoxxyBabee
- Change.org – “Today as citizens of the world, we face a daunting array of social and environmental problems ranging from health care and education to global warming and economic inequality. For each of these issues, whether local or global in scope, there are millions of people who care passionately about working for change but lack the information and opportunities necessary to translate their interest into effective action. Change.org aims to address this need by serving as the central platform informing and empowering movements for social change around the most important issues of our time.” [ Ideas for Change in America – Post an Idea ]
- Charitable Giving – Resources and reviews for charitable giving.
- Companies Giving to Charity
- Consumer Defense Resource Group – Advocating for Consumer Rights
- Effective Activism – An article by Gregory Johnson
- Environmental Resource Group – Promoting sustainability and environmental action.
- Good.Alltop.com – News about doing good.
- Good.is – “GOOD is a collaboration of individuals, businesses, and nonprofits pushing the world forward. Since 2006 we’ve been making a magazine, videos, and events for people who give a damn.
This website is an ongoing exploration of what GOOD is and what it can be.”
- GoodTree.com – Online social networking of activists.
- GreenXchange – “Nike and Creative Commons are calling upon other companies and stakeholders to bring the network efficiencies of open innovation to solving the problems of sustainability. “
- Kiva – We’re currently promoting Kiva as a great way to help people save up money while doing good at the same time. Please join our Kiva Lending Team. Loan money, change lives.
- Nscfp.org – Northstar Center for Peace
- PeaceCorps.gov – Waging peace around the world.
- Political Resource Group – Politics that are “Fair and Balanced”
- Jay Shafer – Featured Activist
- ScienceCommons.org – “Many scientists today work in relative isolation, left to follow blind alleys and duplicate existing research. Data are balkanized — trapped behind firewalls, locked up by contracts or lost in databases that can’t be accessed or integrated. Materials are hard to get — universities are overwhelmed with transfer requests that ought to be routine, while grant cycles pass and windows of opportunity close. It’s not uncommon for research sponsors to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in critically important efforts like drug discovery, only to see them fail. The consequences in many cases are no less than tragic. The time it takes to go from identifying a gene to developing a drug currently stands at 17 years — forever, for people suffering from disease. Science Commons has three interlocking initiatives designed to accelerate the research cycle — the continuous production and reuse of knowledge that is at the heart of the scientific method. Together, they form the building blocks of a new collaborative infrastructure to make scientific discovery easier by design.”
- Slacker Uprising by Michael Moore
- Small Car Society
- Small House Society
- Super Efficiency Upsourcing Cost Effectiveness in Virtual Organizations and Businesses for a Zero Monetized Society
- The Story of Stuff – Exploring a dysfunctional model for production, delivery, consumption, and disposal.
- The True Enemy is War Itself – “The conflicting ideologies of the captain and the executive officer in the movie Crimson Tide are revealed early on in the film (from 20:40 to 24:13).”
- The Urgency of Global Feminism
- The Urgency of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- The Urgency of Youth Representation, Action, and Activism in World Democracy
- World of Good at eBay – Products that are ethically responsible with regard to labor, the environment, animals, and supporting social causes.
- World PROUT Assembly – “PROUT stands for PROgressive UTilization Theory. It means, the progressive utilization and rational distribution of all the earth’s natural resources.”
Faith and Activism. Most religions include as a central tenant the concept of social action, social change, and healing the world. People from all generations, and numerous religions have found a connection between faith and activism. Faith can provide the hope, courage, strength, and determination required to contribute toward positive change in the world. Below is an excerpt from the Tanya.
ולכן אמרו רבותינו ז״ל במדרש: ראה הקדוש ברוך הוא בצדיקים שהם מועטים, עמד
ושתלן ככל דור ודור
“The Almighty saw that the righteous were few, so He arose and planted them in every generation.” Tanya 1:25-26