Google AdSense advertising is intended to deliver effective and meaningful advertising. This is based on page content and previous searches. Here are a few ways in which Google AdSense fails:
- People are shown ads for products and services they have already purchased.
- People are shown ads for products and services they’ve reviewed, but subsequently decided not to purchase.
- People are shown ads for products and services they don’t like.
- People are shown ads for topics that are irrelevant. For example, if you’ve searched on something for someone else, or if someone else has used your computer.
- Ads may be displayed that are a misinterpretation of what’s on the current page.
Advertising should introduce people to new products and services that are relevant to their needs and interests. In this regard, Google AdSense fails part of the time.
In the example below, an ad for Spam Breakfast Burritos was showing up in the Google Gmail Spam folder. In this example a phishing email was identified by Google.