Summary. The Apple 24-inch LED Cinema Display for MacBook Notebooks is an excellent value, and should be considered by anyone who can benefit from having more working room and/or plans to spend extended working time on their computer.
Cost Comparison. At about $900, the Apple display is comparable to the HP 24 Inch Dreamcolor LP2480ZX Professional LED Display that sells for as much as $2300 to $3700 depending on where you buy it. However, the HP display lacks many of the otherwise costly features already included with the Apple display such as microphone, video camera, speakers, and notebook power supply.
Features. It is difficult to compare the Apple cinema display with others of similar size since the features and quality are not available in other displays:
- Audio. Built-in 2.1 speaker system.
- Cooling System. The display features an air intake and exhaust to keep it cool.
- Design. The display is very attractive and made of high quality recyclable materials such as aluminum and glass rather than plastic.
- Environmentally Friendly. “The LED Cinema Display, like the latest-generation iPod, iPhone, and Mac computers, features mercury-free LED backlight technology and arsenic-free glass. The display is also free of BFRs and PVCs in all internal cables and components. In addition, the glass and aluminum construction make the display highly recyclable, so its raw materials can be used in other types of products. It receives a Gold rating from the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT).”
- Extreme Conditions. The display can operate in extreme conditions with 20% to 80% humidity at up to 10,000 feet, and temperatures of 10° to 35° C (50° to 95° F) or -20° to 47° C (-4° to 116° F) when stored.
- LED Illumination Technology. “LEDs are solid-state light sources that are an ideal complement to digital LCDs. They light up very quickly, which means you experience full screen brightness the moment you connect your LED Cinema Display to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air. And LEDs are completely mercury-free.”
- High Definition. “Connect your new MacBook to the LED Cinema Display, and it’s like upgrading your screen to first class. The 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display adds 1920 by 1200 pixels to your workspace, giving your work more room to impress. And its glossy finish makes graphics, photos, and video appear in rich colors and deep blacks.”
- Image Size. The dimensions and ratio of height to width on this display make it possible to see tow large pages side by side which makes it much easier to work on projects that require side-by-side viewing. For example, with web page development, it is common to be working in one on-screen window while getting content and links from a second window. “The 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display adds 1920 by 1200 pixels to your workspace…”
- Image Quality. The sharpness, brightness, brilliance, clarity, and high contrast of the display make it possible to work for longer periods of time with reduced eye fatigue. Because the display offers 16.7 million different colors and variations, it is very lifelike. “Its glossy finish makes graphics, photos, and video appear in rich colors and deep blacks.”
- Low Power. The display meets ENERGY STAR requirements. In energy saver mode, the display uses 1 watt of power or less.
- Microphone. A high quality microphone is integrated into the display.
- Mini DisplayPort. “The LED Cinema Display attaches to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air using the new industry-standard Mini DisplayPort connector. Other display connectors have you lining up pins or fumbling with screws. But the Mini DisplayPort connector is easy in, easy out.”
- Notebook Cooling and Storage. For greater cooling, the display offers an aluminum base with a slight incline that allows for storage of the notebook computer increased airflow under the sides of the notebook. Having the aluminum notebook resting on the aluminum surface of the display base allows for greater heat transference and dissipation. It also makes more room to work on the desk surface. The Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboard is an excellent option to use with the notebook when connected to the display.
- Notebook Power Supply. “The LED Cinema Display is the perfect companion for your new MacBook, because it includes a convenient universal MagSafe connector that powers and charges your MacBook when you’re back at your home, office, or dorm. You can leave your MacBook power adapter right in your bag, ready to hit the road.”
- Security. The display has a built-in Kensington cable lock slot.
- Reduced Eye Fatigue. The sharpness, brightness, brilliance, clarity, and high contrast of the display, along with its larger size, help reduce eye fatigue.
- USB Hub. A built-in 3-port powered USB 2.0 hub provides speed and works with a wider variety of components such as those requiring a powered port. Along with the iSight camera, speakers, microphone, this permits multiple devices to be connected with fewer cables plugged into the notebook.
- Video Camera. The built-in video camera offers excellent image quality. “Have video conferences with your MacBook closed.”