Problem Summary. If you are a member of Facebook and receive a Friend request from someone to that was an address other than the primary email address you have registered with Facebook, it will be difficult to add the person.
Problem Solution. Follow these instructions to add the person as a friend.
- Click the link provided in the Friend Request invitation email message. It will take you to the customized invitation web page that should have an address similar to this:
Note: If you were already logged into Facebook, you’ll be forwarded to your Facebook home page with no instructions or information about approving the Friend Request. You may need to logout of Facebook and begin again, or make a note of the number after the p.php?i= and use that for step #2 below.
- Observe that in the website address shown above, the numbers (in bold for emphasis here) following the text “invid=” are the unique ID of the person’s Facebook page. You’ll need to visit their personal facebook page while logged into Facebook to add them as a friend and have them linked to your existing Facebook account.
- Login to Facebook.
- Visit the personal page for the person who just sent you the Friend request. Their personal page will be at a website address similar to this:
- Replace friend-name in the link above with the name provided in the email invitation you received in step #1 above. Be sure to insert the hyphens where blanks had been. Replace the number (123456789) with the number that showed up in step #1 or #2 above after the “invid=” because this is your friend’s unique Facebook number.
- Click on the Add as a Friend link found on your friend’s Facebook page. The process is completed once they confirm your friend request.