Translation Study. Google Translate now offers phonetic capabilities when converting from Hindi to English.
Devanagari Script Fonts. The Hindi language is written in Devanagari script. Here are some resources for working with the Devanagari script.
- Resources for Life – Hindi and South Asian Languages Resource Page
General Resources. Here are some general resources for Hindi learning online.
- Blogger – Using Hindi in a Blog Entry
- Colorado State University, Yashwant K. Malaiya, Resource Page
- Omniglot Hindi Page
- University of Iowa, Alice Davison, Devanagari Resource Page
- Wikipeda Hindi Page
News. As your reading comprehension improves, reading news stories can be a good way to gain greater understanding.
Study and Tools. The study of vocabulary and grammar is essential to learning. Here are some online resources.
- Australian National University — Audio for Hindi Course
- HindiBhasha.com – Hindi lessons online.
- HindiKalam.com – “Kalam refers to a writing instrument or pen in Hindi. Hindi Kalam is meant to be a fast, intuitive and easy platform for writing Hindi in its own Devanagari script. It is programmed to mimic how we normally write Hindi using Roman alphabet, so that you can start using it instantly without having it to spend virtually any time in memorizing the keys.”
- Hindi Script Tutor by Avashi.com – “This Devanagari program is designed to help beginners of Hindi quickly familiarize themselves with the script.”
- ISpeakHindi.com – Audio lessons and more.
- Shabdkosh.com – “The word ‘Shabdkosh’ is the Romanized English spelling of the hindi word for ‘Dictionary’. Debuted in 2003, this site provides an English to Hindi Dictionary as well as a Hindi to English Dictionary. You can search for English words or use the built-in keyboards to search Hindi words.”
- UniLang.org – “The main purpose of the UniLang Community is to provide an online site where people interested in languages can unite, openly discuss, and find resources related to language(s), linguistics and translation.”
- University of Chicago Hindi Dictionary – “A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English includes Perso-Arabic, Devanagari and roman alphabets.”
Video. Watching cinema is a good way to learn a language and culture. Here are some online links to Hindi films. These sites may have advertising and pop-ups. Be careful not to click on the advertisements. These sites and others like them may attempt to obtain your e-mail address and personal information. Do not provide any.
The following links have yet to be reviewed and considered:
Online Hindi dictionaries
Online English-to-Hindi transliterator
Hindi language and literature
Web resources for learning Hindi
Hindi language resources, including dictionaries, grammar and useful phrases
Freeware virtual Hindi keyboard
Transliterate Devanagari into other Indian scripts
Send email in Hindi and other Indian languages