Summary. Organic food bars are an excellent source of nutrition and energy between meals or in place of a meal.
There are a variety of organic vegetarian food bars on the market. Some bars are healthy, yet they have a very sugary and sweet taste almost like a regular candy bar, such as the GardenOfLife.com and NaturesPath.com bars.
If you have a sensitivity to excessively sweet and sugary products, these might not appeal to you (but please try them first). For example, the Garden of Life Summer Berry bar has honey as the first ingredient, and then blueberries with cranberries – as if that wasn’t sweet enough, cane sugar is the next ingredient.
The Nature’s Path bars contain brown rice syrup, evaporated cane syrup (listed more than once in the ingredients) and cane sugar, even though the bars have enough sweet fruits to be sweet enough. If you are looking for something less sweet with a more natural fruit and nut sweetness, you’ll want to try MacroBars by GoMacro.com and PranaBars.com.
- BumbleBar.com – “BumbleBars are Delicious, Nutritious, Ethically Sourced, Kid Approved, Vegan Approved, Gluten Free, Organic Energy Snack Bars. … We at BumbleBar take much pride in making delicious, certified-organic, gluten-free snacks. We also care a great deal about doing the right thing for people and the planet. The People, Profit, Planet concept is one that has been growing in popularity among socially responsible businesses in the past several years. People, Profit, Planet represents the “triple bottom line” of sustainable business talk. All three concepts are intertwined — if one suffers, they all suffer.” [ More… ]
- ClifBar.com – “Made with five or fewer 100% organic ingredients, CLIF Nectar is the simplest expression of fruit and nuts. Bursting with flavor, CLIF Nectar Organic Fruit & Nut Bars are the essence of nature.” [ Bars ]
- GardenOfLife.com – “At Garden of Life we are dedicated to empowering extraordinary health. Our Living Foods™ Bars combine the goodness of nutritious whole foods such as organic fruit, vegetables, nuts and sprouted grains with beneficial LIVE PROBIOTICS, all sweetened with honey to create an incredibly satisfying bar that is both delicious and healthy for you. Each bar contains soluble fiber from oat beta glucan, an important ingredient for supporting a healthy heart.” [ Bars ] * Although their food bars are vegetarian, this manufacturer strongly promotes and markets to encourage meat consumption. The owner, Jordan Rubin, has a series of Eat Meat Promotional Videos.
- MacroBars by GoMacro.com – “GoMacro realizes the importance of a healthy vegan diet and supports programs which encourage students to adopt a healthier lifestyle. We hope our delicious MacroTreats and MacroBars will help make it easier for everyone to maintain a healthy lifestyle.” [ Bars | Ingredient Benefits | Good Carbohydrates ]
- NaturesPath.com – “Our Goal is to be a trusted name for quality organic foods in every home – socially responsible, environmentally sustainable and financially viable. … We believe food, organically grown, is better for you and better for the environment. Organic foods contain no preservatives or additives, and are grown without synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fungicides which agribusiness typically sprays onto our food. These chemicals can then find their way into the soil, water, air and eventually our bodies. Just as eating wholesome organic food helps to make healthy bodies, organic farming helps make healthy soil and a healthy planet. Our farmland is a thin layer of living earth blanketing the planet and needs to be nurtured and renewed continually. Organic farming practices enrich the soil and improve a farm’s biodiversity, resulting in less soil erosion and more drought resistant farmland. It was Hippocrates who suggested that we let food be our medicine and medicine be our food. Nothing can replace the richness and complexity of nutrients found in a varied diet of fresh, organic whole foods, and Nature’s Path® organic breakfast cereals are a great way to get started, every day.” [ Bars ]
- PranaBars.com – ” Enzymes, the delicate dynamos – cannot be duplicated by science, because they are the stuff of life. Enzymes break down food into basic components so that the body can absorb nutrients and eliminate waste efficiently. Your body can manufacture enzymes, but the more you use your enzyme potential, the sooner it runs out. Nearly all the enzymes naturally present in food are destroyed by processing and cooking, causing your body to deplete its own limited supply when digesting such foods. Raw, organic and unprocessed foods, rich in enzymes, restore your enzyme levels and increase health, vitality and longevity.” [ Bars ]
- TheProBar.com – “Made from whole, organic, raw foods and 100 percent vegan, … In 2007 the company doubled its sales every month of the year. In 2008 PROBAR has won four prestigious product awards and the year is only half over. PROBAR is branching out too, Spring 2009 promises more products—not just bars, but other real, nutritious foods.”
- ThinkProducts.com – “Our thinkOrganic™ bars are made with the highest quality organic ingredients that are simple, pure and delicious. We believe pure whole foods are potent. A study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine reported significantly higher nutrient values in organically grown fruits and vegetables compared to conventionally grown. We harness the power of nature to bring you a delicious source of true vitality.” [ Bars ]