In August of 2012, Iowa City became a Zipcar.com location. For about $25 per year, you can be a member of the Zipcar.com community, giving you instant access to cars in many major metropolitan areas. [Join Now]
Zipcar Cost. Zipcar rentals are by the hour or by the day (about $9/hour or $66/day). The cost may vary depending on the location and quality of vehicle. There is also an annual membership fee of about $25. Those who wish to lower their included Zipcar insurance deductible from $750 per incident to $0 can pay $9 a month (or a discounted annual fee). If you’re not concerned about accidents, and a $750 deductible doesn’t scare you, then you can skip the $9 per month fee.
Zipcar or Taxi. Here are some considerations for deciding between Zipcar or Taxi:
- For short trips, a taxi may be a few dollars less expensive.
- If you’ll be staying at your destination for an extended period of time, a taxi may be a better choice.
- If you don’t know how long you’ll be staying at your destination, a taxi may be a better choice.
- If you need a vehicle on short-notice and all Zipcars are currently in use or reserved, you may need to use a taxi.
- Because Zipcars need to be returned to their location, they aren’t well suited for a one-way trip or driving home. A taxi is likely a better choice.
Zipcar Benefits and Best Uses. Here are some Zipcar benefits and best uses:
- Because the Zipcar rental fee covers fuel, maintenance, parking, and insurance, it is more economical than most rental car companies.
- Even people who own cars, but walk, bike, or take the bus to work, may want to use a Zipcar near work for quick errands.
- Most taxi companies charge for stops and waiting making the taxi very expensive for some uses. Any multi-stop errands will be much less expensive with Zipcar.
- Those who drive to work may not want to lose their parking spot, and if their car is far from their place of work, Zipcar may be a more convenient choice.
How Zipcar Works. Below is a video introduction to Zipcar.