As an outreach of the Activist Resource Group, the Environmental Resource Group researches, promotes, and reports on technologies and practices that promote sustainable living.
Here are some of the resource pages we offer:
- Building Green Sustainable Buildings, Homes, and Communities – Resources
- BatteryRecycling.com – “Battery Solutions, Inc. provides cost-effective fully-managed battery-recycling kits, systems, and services to corporations, governments, municipalities, and households across the country to serve environmentally conscious individuals and businesses and satisfy compliance with government regulations.”
- Creating Sustainable Communities – Resources
- Earth Monitoring – Resources
- Education Workshops and Institutes for Sustainable Living
- Electric and Utility Cooperatives – Resources and Information
- Farming and Agriculture Organic Sustainability – Resources
- Life Mobility Transportation Group – Bicycles, Electric Cars, and Greener Alternative Fuel Modes of Travel
- Magazines, Journals, and Publications about Sustainability and the Environment
- Movies and Films about Sustainability and Environmental Issues
- Organizations Promoting Sustainability and Environmentally Green Earth Friendly Initiatives
- Permaculture and Urban Sustainable Living Resources
- Power and Electricity Sustainable Green Earth-Friendly Resources
- Product and Consumer Good Manufacturers or Companies Emphasizing Earth Friendly and Sustainable Production Choices
- Publishers of Books and Materials on Sustainability and Earth-Friendly Environmental Living
- Solar, Wind, Biofuel, Hyrdo, and Alternative Power Product Manufacturers and Providers
- Small House Society – smaller homes for smaller footprints
- Technology and Green, Eco-Friendly, Sustainable Living
- Terracycle Upcycling Waste by Recycling Old Product and Packaging Materials
- Women’s Network for a Sustainable Future
Iowa Environmental Resources
- enrgPath.com – “The web-site and annual print directory will bring a collective energy to each business involved. Our ‘small group of thoughtful, committed citizens’ is much larger than I realized when I set out on this path. Through enrgPATH, you can find the product and service provider who will help you live a greener life, whether it’s in home remodeling projects, your food supply, or alternative healing practices. And by participating in enrgPATH, you’ll help make an educational impact, contributing to the momentum and awareness of sustainability. Join us as we have fun encouraging, supporting, and celebrating the incredible people in Iowa and beyond!”
- EnvironmentIowa.org – “Environment Iowa is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. Our professional staff combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for Iowa’s environment. Environment Iowa draws on 30 years of success in tackling our state’s top environmental problems.”
- Go Iowa! – “GO IOWA!, represents the efforts of a number of volunteers who care about the preservation and enhancement of Iowa’s Great Outdoors, land and other natural resources. It is intended as an information resource for those who are also working to promote these ends, in a belief that a single Web site collection of resources, with links to organizations (”Resources”), events and news of current happenings (”Media”), would be a constructive contribution to these related efforts.”
- ICOSC.com – “Center on Sustainable Communities promotes residential green building in Iowa to encourage homeowners and building professionals to embrace conscientious building practices that create sustainable neighborhoods. COSC serves as a resource for education and provides a broad network of local and green building professionals; a local connection to suppliers of green building products; a sample showroom of green building products; and a local schedule of green building seminars and workshops.”
- IRENEW.org – “The Iowa Renewable Energy Association (I-Renew) is a membership-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to educating Iowans about renewable energy. Founded in 1992, I-Renew has sponsored hands-on workshops on installing solar and wind systems, powered the State Fair, schools, and events with the Solar Traveler, our mobile renewable energy demonstration unit, and hosted our annual Energy Expo, the area’s largest event dedicated to renewable energy and energy efficiency.”
- TaprootNatureExperience.org – “In nature, the strongest, most productive, and most resilient systems are those that are diverse and highly integrated — Lots of different things working together and interacting in many different ways. That model applies to human communities as well. Taproot strives to create a vibrant community of families and individuals by offering a wide variety of sustainability and environmental educational experiences. With frequent fun gatherings and events, Taproot facilitates new connections between people of similar and compatible passions and principles. Taproot also enriches the larger community of the Iowa City area, extending and strengthening the fibers connecting people, organizations, and businesses who are committed to protecting the health of the earth and its inhabitants.”
Below is a self-survey with a list of questions and considerations to ask before planning to have children. This survey isn't intended to provoke a specific answer. Such surveys do exist — trying to convince people that having children is horrible or wonderful. There...
An old Forbes article about global cooling has resurfaced in social media although the link to the original article seems to result in a page not found error on the Forbes website. The full article from 31 May 2012 is provided below. It is used here for educational,...
LOCAL FOOD – This Vertical 1/10th-Acre Urban Agriculture Farm Can Produce 5-Acres Equivalent in Food
In 1/10th of an acre, this urban farm produces the equivalent of a 5-acre farm able to produce 100,000 pounds of food per year using 90% less water than a traditional farm.
Summary Below is news coverage over the past few days of a 23 Nov 2018 government climate report that describes serious negative outcomes that will be unavoidable if we don't act soon to avert them. Some analysts are describing this as an extinction level event. The...
In the video below, General Darren McDew (retired) addresses energy readiness in a meeting of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Questions are posed by Sen. Warren regarding military use of renewable energy. In the conclusion of the video, Gen. McDew affirms that...
Salmon Sisters is part business and part inspiring social-movement meets habitat preservation. It's an initiative started by Emma Teal Laukitis and Claire Neaton, two sisters from the Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska. From the Salmon Sisters website: Emma Teal...
This National Geographic short-film documentary looks at horse wrangling. Nestled in a valley between Yellowstone and Big Sky, the 9 Quarter Circle Ranch has remained relatively unchanged for 70 years. Kameron Kelsey is a third-generation steward of the ranch and...
Located in the arctic circle, The Global Seed Vault isn't simply just a large storage facility for seeds from around the world. The vault is protecting the world's agricultural genetic diversity and protecting our future food supply in case of catastrophe. Video...
In Stockholm, Sweden, a waste incineration system generates heat for 100,000 residents and electricity for 200,000 people. In three years, the country will incinerate all waste and have no landfills. Great Britain and other countries pay Sweden about $60 million to...
About "When Elon Musk's brother, Kimbal, raffled off his own Model 3 Tesla this week, he raised more than $2 million for his non-profit group Big Green. The younger Musk has been working to increase food literacy among the nation's school kids and to increase access...
Local organic farming is good for the environment, helps create jobs, builds community, fosters local economy, and promotes a culture of eating delicious nutritious fresh foods. This is why we promote, support, and buy from local organic farms in our area -- like...
Info "Heavy rain and melting snow flooded Yosemite Valley last weekend, covering some roads with four feet of water. Visitors were evacuated in advance." Video
This two-part video from 60 Minutes Australia examines the power crisis in an interview with Elon Musk. "It’s been a miserable few weeks for Malcolm Turnbull’s government, stalled by myriad cock-ups and controversies. But the greatest challenge it faces continues to...
Thoughts about work-life injuries, posture, and repetitive stress issues. Recorded on 21 Aug 2017 by Greg Johnson. Learn more at ResourcesForLife.com/bike
Here are some video feeds and other resources for the 2017 solar eclipse as seen in the United States. Visit Eclipse2017.NASA.gov/safety to read more about eye safety during the eclipse. Safety "Be Smart: A Partial Eclipse Can Fry Your Naked Eyes," NPR, 18 Aug 2017....
In 2014 a $96 million dollar 10-year plan was established to renovate dozens of Iowa lakes in order to provide cleaner water for the state and safer recreational use. "The project will clean out chemicals released by blue and green algae. The algae are bacteria that...