Resources for Life – Photography
Through the Iowa City Photographers Guild, we offer a variety of services, including support services to local photographers. We can help match you with local photographers well suited for your particular need or project.
We can help you learn more about how to improve your own photography with whatever camera you use. Individualized training as well as public trainings are offered.
Below we offer some helpful resources for novice and professional photographers, including some documents we’ve provided here on our website.
We charge an hourly rate, based on the Iowa City Technology Services Group. There will very likely be photographers in the area who charge less per hour, and perhaps some who charge more. Our public classes are free of charge and open to all.
The Power of Photography.
Pictures help us communicate more effectively. They are part of our work life and enrich our relationships with friends and family. They can bring laughter and joy as well as introspection and sadness. Pictures preserve our memories. They can stir our passion for a loved one. Pictures, like music and other arts, are a kind of medicine. The power of photography is a wonderful tool when properly harnessed.
Below are a few selected resources.
- Anna-Photo.com – Amazing portrait and wedding photography.
- ApoTelyt.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- CafePress.com – Printing to just about anything.
- CameraDecision.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- CameraLabs.com – Extensive detailed reviews of cameras. A wealth of information.
- DPReview.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- DXOMark.com – Camera reviews.
- Google Image Swirl – Visual interactive relational presentation of similar images.
- Google Similar Images Search – “Similar Images allows you to search for images using pictures rather than words.”
- Greg Johnson Photography
- Imaging-Resource.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- Iowa City Photographers Guild
- National Parks Photography
- The Other Day Photography
- Paper Souls Photography
- News: http://photography.alltop.com/
- Photo of the Day
- Smartphone Camera Reviews by DXOMark.com
- TinEye.com – “TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions. TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks.”
Super Zoom Lenses
- “Tamron Unveils Impressive All-in-One 18-400mm Zoom Lens,” B&H Photo, by Shawn Steiner, Aug 2017.
This document doesn't offer a comprehensive look at how to use Photos software on Apple devices. Instead, an overview is offered. For in-depth support, visit https://support.apple.com/photos. If you're having some synchronization issues, you can read our help document...
The Fujifilm X-E3 mirrorless rangefinder camera is highly rated and would work well for some people's photography needs. Differing Reviews DP Review gives the camera an 84% score and the rare Gold Award. (source) The review by Camera Labs says the X-E3 is "a very...
The Fujifilm X-E3 digital camera is one of the first cameras to offer a persistent low power bluetooth connection for realtime GPS location geotagging of your photos using your smartphone location information. Once setup, it seems to work fairly well with a few...
There are four common camera styles and sizes to consider for better photography: smartphones, pocket camera, bridge camera, and DSLR. Each of these cameras have benefits and drawbacks. Some photographers would carry 3 different cameras or possibly 4. Smartphones Some...
The Sony a7 II (with a 28-70mm lens) and Canon 6D (with a 24-105mm lens) are economically priced entry-level full-frame cameras considered by people looking to make an upgrade from APS-C sensor class of cameras. In a DP Review side-by-side feature comparison, the...
Introduction The Prisma photography art effects app for iOS applies artistic painting filter effects to pictures and images. Below are samples of these effects with the original image for comparison. Click any image for a larger gallery view. You'll notice that some...
The Prisma Photo App for iPhone can convert your pictures into art. Below are some before and after samples using different filter effects in the app. Click any image for a larger gallery view. Thanks to Alex for helping discover this amazing app! [gallery columns="2"...
If you're a blogger, captivating images are essential for bringing attention to your website and writing. If you have some interesting artistic photos of your own, that's great. When you don't have what you need for a particular story, consider a free stock photo...