Resources for Life – Photography
Through the Iowa City Photographers Guild, we offer a variety of services, including support services to local photographers. We can help match you with local photographers well suited for your particular need or project.
We can help you learn more about how to improve your own photography with whatever camera you use. Individualized training as well as public trainings are offered.
Below we offer some helpful resources for novice and professional photographers, including some documents we’ve provided here on our website.
We charge an hourly rate, based on the Iowa City Technology Services Group. There will very likely be photographers in the area who charge less per hour, and perhaps some who charge more. Our public classes are free of charge and open to all.
The Power of Photography.
Pictures help us communicate more effectively. They are part of our work life and enrich our relationships with friends and family. They can bring laughter and joy as well as introspection and sadness. Pictures preserve our memories. They can stir our passion for a loved one. Pictures, like music and other arts, are a kind of medicine. The power of photography is a wonderful tool when properly harnessed.
Below are a few selected resources.
- Anna-Photo.com – Amazing portrait and wedding photography.
- ApoTelyt.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- CafePress.com – Printing to just about anything.
- CameraDecision.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- CameraLabs.com – Extensive detailed reviews of cameras. A wealth of information.
- DPReview.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- DXOMark.com – Camera reviews.
- Google Image Swirl – Visual interactive relational presentation of similar images.
- Google Similar Images Search – “Similar Images allows you to search for images using pictures rather than words.”
- Greg Johnson Photography
- Imaging-Resource.com – Great site for researching cameras.
- Iowa City Photographers Guild
- National Parks Photography
- The Other Day Photography
- Paper Souls Photography
- News: http://photography.alltop.com/
- Photo of the Day
- Smartphone Camera Reviews by DXOMark.com
- TinEye.com – “TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution versions. TinEye is the first image search engine on the web to use image identification technology rather than keywords, metadata or watermarks.”
Super Zoom Lenses
- “Tamron Unveils Impressive All-in-One 18-400mm Zoom Lens,” B&H Photo, by Shawn Steiner, Aug 2017.
The Prisma Photo App for iPhone can convert your pictures into art. Below are some before and after samples using different filter effects in the app. Click any image for a larger gallery view. Thanks to Alex for helping discover this amazing app! [gallery columns="2"...
If you're a blogger, captivating images are essential for bringing attention to your website and writing. If you have some interesting artistic photos of your own, that's great. When you don't have what you need for a particular story, consider a free stock photo...
Just a few days ago, Bevel posted this excellent instructional video on how to best use the Bevel double-edge safety razor and shaving system. The tips and guidelines would be useful for any shaving system, although the Bevel is considered by some to be the best on...
Imagine being able to upgrade your iPhone or Android phone to take high quality pictures with 20.4 megapixels and a 30x zoom lens. The lens pictured above is the Sony DSC-QX100 Smartphone Attachable Lens. Unfortunately, it costs about $500 retail and has only a 3.6X...
Poster / Flyer Please download, email, and/or print and post the flyer of the event. You can click the image below for a larger view or download the PDF. Real Dancers - Real Passion 3000 Miles 50 Nia Dancers 12 Months 3000 Images Dates and Times Saturday, 7 December...
An invitation from the University of Iowa Photography Club: The next University of Iowa Photography Club meeting will be Monday, November 11, 6PM at the IMU Northwestern room. We will be hosting Bill Adams, a photojournalist who has traveled the world and shot for...
Gregory Paul Johnson - Personal Update 201305 | 31 May 2013 | Friday Dear Friend, Here's my personal update for May 2013. If we're not already connected on Facebook, please visit my Facebook page and send me a friend request. Starbucks Encounter. Today I had the...
The University of Iowa Photography Club (UIPC) is an official student organization, but open to all members of the UI community. UIPC Resources Facebook Group. You can learn more by visiting or joining the UIPC Facebook Group. Student Organization Page. Visit the...
Product Description Using a UV camera lens filter is a good way to protect your lens from scratches, dust, or impact damage without degrading photo quality. High-end UV filters can cost anywhere from $100 to over $300. The low-end UV filters can be purchased for...