Click play, or use the arrow to advance to the next video.
People We Support
We support and follow legislators and political leaders from any party who seem to be helping make a positive public-interest shift on even just a few important social issues even if we disagree with them on other issues. We look for honesty, transparency, competency, service to society, and the ability to work with others.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Facebook, Twitter, Website]
- Andrew Gillum [Facebook]
- Angela Merkel [Facebook]
- Amy Klobuchar [Facebook, Twitter]
- Amy McGrath [Facebook, Twitter, YouTube]
- Bernie Sanders [Issues, OurRevoluion, Taking on Trump]
- Beto O’Rourke [Twitter]
- Cindy Nixon [IMDb, Twitter, Wikipedia]
- Elizabeth Warren [Facebook, Twitter, Wiki]
- Eric Holder [Law, NY Times, Twitter, Wikipedia]
- Justin Trudeau [Facebook, Instagram, Twitter]
- King Abdullah II of Jordan [Twitter]
- Pete Buttigieg [Fact Page]
- Sheldon Whitehouse [Twitter]
- Stacey Abrams [Twitter]
- Theresa May [Facebook, Twitter]
- Tulsi Gabbard [Facebook, Twitter]
- Arnold Schwarzenegger [Clean Energy Video, Twitter]
- Ben Carson [CNBC Feed, Facebook, Twitter]
- Bill Haslam [Facebook, Free Community College, Twitter]
- Carly Fiorina [Facebook, Twitter]
- Eric Eliason [Facebook, Twitter]
- Jeff Flake [Facebook, Twitter]
- John James [Facebook, Twitter]
- John Kasich [Facebook, Twitter]
- Jon Huntsman [Facebook, Huntsman2020.com, Wikipedia]
- Lindsey Graham [Facebook, Twitter]
- Lisa Murkowski [Facebook, Twitter]
- Liz Cheney [Facebook, Twitter]
- Marco Rubio [Facebook, Twitter, YouTube]
- Richard Shelby [Facebook, Twitter]
- Susan Collins [Facebook, Twitter]
Media Voices on the Left
- Amy Goodman [Democracy Now, Twitter]
- Anderson Cooper [CNN – AC360, Facebook, Twitter]
- Bill Maher [Facebook, Twitter, YouTube – Real Time]
- Dave Rubin [Twitter, YouTube]
- John Oliver [Facebook, IAMJohnOliver.com, IMDB, Twitter, Wikipedia, YouTube]
- Keith Olbermann [GQ – Closer Series, Huffington Post, Twitter, YouTube – The Resistance]
- Lawrence O’Donnell [MSNBC – The Last Word, Twitter]
- Rachel Maddow [Facebook, Twitter, YouTube]
- Seth Meyers [IMDB, NBC, Twitter, Wikipedia, YouTube]
- Stephen Colbert [CBS, IMDB, Twitter, Wikipedia, YouTube]
- Trevor Noah [Facebook, Instagram, TrevorNoah.com, Twitter, Wikipedia, YouTube]
Organizations Promoting Civility, Healing, Respect, Understanding, and Cooperation
The following organizations are working to promote civility and healthy democratic process.
The following stories provide more information about the political civility movement.
- Press Citizen, Zachary Oren Smith, 7 Feb 2020 at 3:05 PM CT. “‘Reds’ and ‘Blues’ find common ground in Iowa City” Excerpt: “There are some topics of conversations you just don’t broach with strangers, chief among them religion and politics. In grade school, students learn about war fought over the former, but in today’s American news climate, it’s schisms in the latter causing contention.” [More…]
- The Atlantic, Rebecca Nelson, 30 Oct 2015. “The War On Partisanship” Excerpt: “In the age of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders, of Fox News and MSNBC, of total partisan warfare at all levels of government, No Labels is, to put it mildly, out of step with the zeitgeist of U.S. politics.” [More…]
Additional Political Resources
Before a Country Can Be Great, It Has to be Good
The Good Country Index provides a directory of countries based on success in various categories and measurements for quality of life. Click the chart to view the interactive online resource and dig deeper into the data behind this chart.
Articles on Politics
Video https://youtu.be/5oyFRoxuf4g About Water is fundamental to life, yet it’s also a scarce commodity. In many cases, greed and mismanagement are causing this life-giving essential to run dry. What happens when water is monetized? From Australia to California, from...
Video https://youtu.be/1lr8_OUa58c About On February 29, 2020, the United States signed a peace deal with the Taliban to end America’s longest war. The historic agreement was intended to create a pathway towards peace in Afghanistan, but one year later, violence in...
Shortly after Congress acquitted Donald Trump yesterday, #MAGA became a trending hashtag on Twitter, and as the sun rises today #Trump2024 is trending. There was no golden escalator event for the launch of Trump's 2024 campaign. Trump was not present at his...
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell Remarks Following Senate Impeachment Vote (C-SPAN, 13 Feb 2021)
Video https://youtu.be/yxRMoqNnfvw About Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell delivers remarks following the Senate vote on impeaching former President Trump. (C-SPAN, 13 Feb 2021) [Video Date: 13 Feb 2021. Posted: 15 Feb 2021.]
Overview As a nation, collectively and as individuals, many are focusing 90% of their energy on the 10% of things that we disagree on rather than the 90% that we agree on. As has been said repeatedly, what unites us is greater than what divides us. Our country faces...
We've witnessed decades of violent and militant acts among right-wing extremists. Everything from incidents like the 1995 Oklahoma bombing, to more recent events like the attack on the U.S. Capitol. Right-wing extremists seem to be more heavily armed and motivated to...
This month we've seen violent and illegal behavior from extremists on the right and the left in response to the centrist and moderate resurgence we're seeing in the United States. Republicans who have expressed concerns in recent years about extremism in the party are...
While public attention has mostly been on extremism within the Republican Party over the past four years, there have also been some hopeful indicators for where the party may be heading in the future. I try to support leaders across the political spectrum who seem to...
Video Here is a video of Biden's speech. The full transcript is below the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWm-KbtaJE Inauguration Speech Transcript Chief Justice Roberts, Vice President Harris, Speaker Pelosi, Leader Schumer, Leader McConnell, Vice President...
In his article "Platforms Must Pay for Their Role in the Insurrection," [Wired 7 Jan 2021] Roger McNamee has asserted that Facebook, Twitter, and other social media services intentionally promote incendiary content. He states, "the algorithmic amplification of extreme...
On 16 Jan 2021, the plan for Joe Biden's first 100 days was announced. The headline from NPR read "Biden To Quickly Sign Orders Mandating Masks, Reversing Trump Travel Ban And More." The part about "orders mandating masks" caught my attention. That story was tweeted...
Simple Predictions About five days ago, I wrote an article stating that kicking conservative individuals and groups off of social media would result in militant extremists moving to encrypted channels of communication on the dark web to launch attacks against the...
Quotes on Politics and Government
The articles below are listed in chronological order with the most recent at the top. Most of the new articles are reference pages for some of the 2020 presidential candidates.
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.” – Thomas Jefferson
“Blind submission to the Administration of the government is not devotion to the country or the Constitution. The administration is not the government.” – Edward G. Ryan
“As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air – however slight – lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.” – Justice William O. Douglas
“Those who expect to reap the blessing of freedom must…undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” – Thomas Paine
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” – Teddy Roosevelt
“If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon’s but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other.” – Ulysses S. Grant
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” – President James Madison
“Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficial. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding.” – Louis D. Brandeis
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” – Benjamin Franklin
“I never would have agreed to the formulation of the Central Intelligence Agency back in forty-seven, if I had known it would become the American Gestapo.” – Harry S Truman, 1961
“I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.” – James Madison
“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” – Abraham Lincoln
“Naturally the common people don’t want war … but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.” – Hermann Goring
“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear.” – President Harry S. Truman, message to Congress, August 8, 1950