Unlimited Calls and Texts for $20 Per Month
Google Fi is a cellular service plan that uses existing cell towers across the nation to provide exceptional coverage. Based on Google Voice services, Project Fi makes it possible to setup your mobile phone service through Google for as little as $20 per month for the first phone and $15 for each additional phone. This includes unlimited calls and texts in the United States.
Data is $5 Per 1/2 GB up to $60 Then Unlimited
Data service costs are added as needed in increments of 1/2 GB for $5 up to $60 then unlimited usage for free after that. The reason Google can offer such low rates is because they know most people are at home, at work, or at a coffee shop where WiFi will be used. When driving people won’t be using data. So while people may use much more data in a month, most of that will be on WiFi.
Up to 5 Phones Per Account
Here’s how the billing costs would add up for 1 to 5 phones.
- One Phone. The single user billing plan is simple. $20 per month with data charged at $5 per 1/2 GB up to 6 GB. So you can expect your monthly bill to range from $20 to $80 depending on how much cellular data you use.
- Two Phones. With two phones, the first is $20 and the second is $15. So, $35 per month with shared data charged at $5 per 1/2 GB up to 10GB. So, $35 to $135 per month depending on how much cellular data is used.
- Three Phones. With three phones, the base cost is $50 and data is charged at $5 per 1/2 GB up to 12GB. So, $50 to $170 per month depending on how much cellular data is used.
- Four Phones. With four phones, the base cost is $65 and data is charged at $5 per 1/2 GB up to 14GB. So, $65 to $205 per month depending on how much cellular data is used.
- Five Phones. With five phones, the base cost is $80 and data is charged at $5 per 1/2 GB up to 16GB. So, $80 to $240 per month depending on how much cellular data is used.
The online cost calculator allows you to add more phones, but indicates that 5 invitees are the maximum.
How to Signup
Follow these steps to signup for Google Project Fi cellular phone service:
- Go to Fi.google.com/signup
- You will need to login to your Google account, or create one, then click Get Started.
- Provide your Zip Code, then click the continue icon (the > symbol in a circle on the right).
- You’ll be given an option to add people to your service plan for $15 each. These should be people already added to your Google Contacts. Click the continue icon to proceed.
- The cost calculator lets you estimate what to expect to pay monthly. Click the continue icon to proceed.
- The next step allows you to purchase a phone or use an existing compatible phone.
Note: Only the following devices are currently supported: Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Unlocked LG G7, Unlocked LG V35, Moto G6, Moto X4, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 6. Additionally, only the North America models of some devices will work.
How Project Fi Works
Project Fi has partnered with Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular, three of the leading carriers in the US, to provide our service. Project Fi puts you on the best available network between Wi-Fi and three 4G LTE networks. This means you get access to more cell towers and 4G LTE in more places.
When multiple carriers are available, Project Fi will move you to the network that our analysis shows will be fastest in your current location, whether that is 4G LTE, 3G, or 2G. We’re constantly learning and improving, to account for factors such as newly-built towers or newly-available radio frequencies. And if your current network is providing weak or no coverage, we’ll adjust in real time to find you a stronger connection.
Here are some links for additional information about Project Fi.
- Compatible New Phones – Some older phones are compatible with Fi. Here are the new phones available for Fi.
- Coverage Map
- Coverage – Overview
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Help Center
- International Calling Rates
- Quiz – Find out if switching to Fi will make sense for you.